Evolution # 1 “Make & Break” for the Allen Cup
Four Man Event (Revised April !996)
Equipment required for this event will be supplied by VIFFA is as follows:
1) 3 identical coupling wrenches.
2) 3 identical hydrant caps.
3) 3 identical portable standpipes 20” in height.
4) 3 identical straight tip nozzles.
5) 9 – 50’ lengths of 2 ½” synthetic hose with brass couplings.
6) 18 judges clip boards, score sheets and pens.
Event is to be run on blacktop pavement or concrete surface. Three teams
run together in drawing order. Distance from start line to the far end of
the course will be 180 feet.
3 – 50 ft. lengths of 2 ½” hose will be laid out from the standpipes
with the coupling folded back on the hose once.
The distance couplings will be turned back is 12” with a 12” gap between
the folded hoses. Nozzle location at the end of the hose will be 2 feet
from the fold.
Starting line will be 10 feet behind the standpipes. Far end course marker
line will be 180 feet from the start line.
Contestants will stand on the starting line. At the word go or the sound
of a starting horn the first person starts.( Beating the start signal will
result in a restart). The coupling wrench is to be picked up from the start
line and placed on the base of the standpipe, the hydrant cap is then removed
and placed on the base of the standpipe, person connects up the first hose
coupling to the standpipe outlet, and then proceeds to make up the rest
of the couplings, connects the nozzle, touches the end marker line, and
starts back, disconnecting the nozzle, stands nozzle up, breaks all couplings,
folds couplings back on hose, disconnects hose from standpipe outlet, picks
up coupling wrench from standpipe base and passes wrench to next person at
the start line. Second and third person go through same procedure, then fourth
person must replace the hydrant cap on the standpipe outlet and cross the
finish line with the coupling wrench, at this point time will stop.
******Evolution must start with the couplings folded only once, but during
the event, couplings may be folded back on hose in any fashion.
Rules and Infractions;
1) Host Department will demonstrate the Evolution.
2) All Couplings will be inspected, cleaned chased, and graphited.
3) Contestants may check couplings before their evolution commences, but
thereafter, only the coupling judges will be permitted to check couplings,
and to recommend replacement if deemed necessary.
4) Contestant’s footwear cannot be opened toed.
5) Contestants may stop to correct infractions, e.g. coupling wrench or
hydrant cap falling off standpipe base, folded back couplings falling off
hose, nozzle falling over. If correction is made no penalty times will
be added to their time.
6) A penalty of 5 seconds will be added to the running time for each infraction.
7) Contestants may kneel on or step on hose or coupling
“Only” while making or breaking a coupling or nozzle.
1) Crossing starting line before receiving coupling wrench.
2) Coupling wrench or hydrant cap not left on standpipe base.
3) Kicking or dropping couplings, coupling wrench, hydrant cap or nozzle
4) Straddling the hose.
5) Coupling not hand tight, Allowance of ¼ turn of coupling from
6) Undone coupling not placed back on hose.
7) Unattached nozzle not left in upright position.
8) Failure to touch end marker line.
9) Hose stepped on other than while making or breaking a coupling or nozzle,
(e.g. stepping or running on hose while moving from standpipe
to coupling, coupling to coupling, coupling to nozzle,)
Vancouver Island Fire Fighters Association
Property of the Vancouver Island Fire Fighters Association