Hose Lay and Water Target
For the Fire Commissioners Trophy
(Three Person Event)
Revised April 1,2007
Truck rear axle will be spotted opposite the hydrant at a distance of 6 feet.|
Starting line for the teams will be 15 feet from the rear step of the apparatus.
On the word 'Go" or the sound of a starting horn, the teams will run to the truck and two firefighters will mount the cab jump seat and one firefighter will act as the hydrant man.
(Beating the start signal will result in a restart at the start line)
One firefighter acts as starter for the truck by calling go to the driver.
The host department will supply the driver and one judge in the cab.
Truck speed is governed to 15mph or 25 kph.
Truck will proceed to a predetermined spot where it will stop; both firefighters will remain seated until the truck comes to a full stop.
Token hose clamp must be applied (completely closed, but not locked) approximately 60 feet from the nozzle before water is shown.
Hose will be broken between 3rd and 4th length and the nozzle connected.
Remaining hose must be replaced on tailboard so that none touches the ground.
Two targets will be 40feet in distance from the nozzle end of the hose, but only one is to be knocked over.
Targets are to be 12 feet apart.
In case of low hydrant pressure, targets may be moved closer at the executives discretion, but must be done before any teams run.
After the first target is knocked over, the second length of hose must be replaced, using the hose clamp and removing a replacement length from the hose bed.
A charged nozzle must not be left unattended.
Hose may be dragged, but not couplings, or hose clamp.
After replacing the second length the second target must be knocked over at which point, time will be stopped.
*****Teams must wear approved firefighters helmet to be supplied by host department or themselves, approved laced footwear and coveralls. (No open shoes, sandals, etc.)
Token hose clamp must be applied not closer than 10 feet of the second complete coupling of the second length of hose, before water is shown. Clamp to be fully closed, but not locked.
Rules and Infractions
- All hose will be inspected, graphite, wet and hydrant pressure determined by host department before event.
- Hose will be replaced on bed "accordion load" in a consistent manner by host department.
- Hydrant must be "wrapped" at least one full turn (with foot against hose) until one full length of hose is on the ground.
- Hydrant must be opened at least 10 full turns.
- Two firefighters must be seated in jump cab of truck until it comes to a full stop.
- Hose clamp and nozzle must remain on rear step while truck is in motion.
- Truck will stop at a predetermined position.
- Target area must be kept clear of spectators, ahead and to the rear for at least 50 feet.
- A penalty time of 5 seconds will be added for each infraction. Three stopwatches will time each event and the average time will be considered as final.
- A judge to be stationed to supervise cartridge-loading, couplings to be hand tight only.
- Hydrant not wrapped at least one full turn is a disqualification
- Straddling and/or standing on any hose while being charged or is charged will be a disqualification.
- Nozzle must be manned by two men with both hands on the hose within six feet of the nozzle before water is shown and until the hose clamp is completely closed, otherwise the team will be disqualified.
- Two firefighters failed to mount the jump cab seat.
- Hydrant not open at least 10 full turns.
- Couplings or nozzle not made hand tight (snug against gasket).
- Two men failed to ride truck to full stop.
- Hose clamp applied less than three feet from coupling, or skidded along road or not fully closed.
- Hose clamp not applied within 60 feet of nozzle for first target. (Not fully closed, but not locked).
- Replacement hose removed before target is knocked over.
- Dragging unmade coupling, or dropping couplings, hydrant cap or hydrant wrench.
- Hose not replaced in bed properly (coupling not on tailboard or hose on the ground).
- Knocking over both targets simultaneously (second target will be turned upright by judge).
Vancouver Island Fire Fighters Association
Property of the Vancouver Island Fire Fighters Association